In this project, GCI worked with the Department of Transport and Main Roads to plan and protect for a future dedicated public transport network for Cairns. The planning was approved by the Queensland Government in 2010, with the 70km network now protected for future staged construction.
This is a pioneering project, being the first time that a detailed, long-term public transport blueprint has been planned and approved for a regional Queensland city.
- Established the project management structures and systems
- Undertook the pre-feasibility study
- Integrated land use and transport planning
- Project positioning
- Alignment and station selection
- Station site selection and land use integration
- Managed preliminary impact management planning assessment
- Provided technical support for engagement with key stakeholders and community
- Led the completion of the project’s Concept Design Report – a preliminary impact assessment report which examined the social, environmental and economic benefits and impacts of the project
- Together with the Department of Transport and Main Roads, set a new benchmark for regional transport planning in Queensland by protecting a 70km public transport network for a regional Queensland city
- Overall winner - 2010 PIA (Qld) Planning Excellence Awards
- Winner - Excellence Award in transport planning category at 2010 PIA (Qld) Planning Excellence Awards